Beef short ribs that have been smoked are my all-time favorite barbecue dish! Beef ribs have been amazing and super simple to make. The delicious, crunchy exterior and the meaty, soft interior are irresistible to me. Without a doubt, the results were always fantastic. If you’ve ever been curious about how to cook or smoked beef short ribs, you’ve come to the appropriate spot. This is the supreme comfort dish.
SMOKING RIBS FOR BEGINNERS can seem intimidating, but short ribs of beef can be easily smoked, and the process is effective. The flavour and tenderness of smoked beef ribs are unrivalled. Trust me.
SMOKED BEEF SHORT RIBS – THE CUT
Similar to the beef short ribs we’re cooking here, which are smaller portions with around 3 inches of bone, are probably the ones you see in the butcher case. You need to buy Short or plate ribs for delicious taste.
TYPES OF BEEF RIBS
Commonly two types of beef ribs are frequently available.
- BACK RIBS –Chuck ribs (the first five ribs), which make up this group of the 13 ribs that run directly from the spine, and back ribs (the next 7) are what are known as these ribs because the meat is located between the bones.
- PLATE/ SHORT RIBS – Short or plate ribs are identical to beef brisket in that they are flat with the meat lying on top of the plate. They move in the direction of the ribs’ bottom portion. Short ribs will pull away from the bone while grilling. Short ribs of beef that have been slowly smoked until they are very soft, rich, and scrumptious.
I’m quite pleased with the recipe we have today!
SHORT RIBS SELECTION
When selecting short ribs for smoking, there are some factors to keep in mind.
BONE-IN VS. BONELESS:
If you have availability to boneless short ribs, by all means, use them. I always use boneless short ribs for smoking definitely for delicious taste.
LOCATION OF THE RIBS:
The lower part of the rib cage in the front is where the short ribs are cut from. Short Ribs are quite expensive but there is no comparison of short ribs.
Funny! But you should choose short ribs to amaze your stomach.
Here are the two main cutting styles of short ribs:
- and English-style.
Sliced crosswise, flanken-style ribs—also known as Korean short ribs —leave a thin strip of flesh with minute cross-sections of bone running through them. Flanken ribs are perfect for quick cooking methods like grilling because cutting the meat crosswise shortens the muscle fibers and imparts a softer flavor without cooking it for an extended time.
English-style ribs are cut longitudinally, providing you with a significant amount of associated bone and meat. For English-style ribs, smoking and braising are fantastic low-and-slow cooking techniques.
My preference is to choose English Style Ribs cut for amazing smoking and grilling experience!
PIECES OF EQUIPMENT
PREPARE BEEF SHORT RIBS
Trimming the top silver skin of the short ribs is something I enjoy practicing. Use a sharp boning or steak knife to carefully remove the silver skin because it is not fatty, won’t dissolve, and may be rough and brittle. You’ll observe a thin layer that, when lifted, reveals the lovely beef that will draw the smoke in. Keep it in place so that it may support the beef on the ribs.
How to make BEEF RIB RUB?
Ingredients you need:
- Bone-in English-cut beef short ribs, trimmed (As required)
- Neutral oil, such as canola as needed
- Ground mustard 2 tablespoons
- Sumac 2 tablespoons
- Paprika` 2 tablespoons
- Kosher salt 3 tablespoons
- Black pepper 2 tablespoons
- Coriander 2 tablespoons
- Garlic powder 2 tablespoons
- Apple cider vinegar mixed with water, for spritzing
Mix all the ingredients well. Now it’s ready to rub on the short rib.
Put some olive oil on the ribs. The ribs’ seasoning will be made possible by the oil. Either the day before or right before you start smoking, you can do this. If you season the day before, a small amount of dry salt will form. Yaa! Adding salt gives a flavorful taste.
HOW TO SMOKE BEEF SHORT RIBS?
I always try to give you the recipes that I loved to. Now it’s time to try the recipe to smoke short ribs amazingly and easily.
The only difficult part of making these ribs is awaiting and being patient. The general timetable for smoking your beef short ribs is provided below. Smoking short ribs involve 7 steps.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the rub evenly across the ribs with your hands about an hour before smoking. I would love to rub the ribs with my hands to enjoy cooking. It’s your choice to apply with your hands or a brush. Keep the leftover rub for later use.
- As per the manufacturer’s recommendations, heat a smoker or pallet grill to 225° to 275°F (110° to 135°C). Use the wooden chunks, flakes, or pellets per the assembly specifications, or place them in the smokebox.
- Place the fat side of the ribs in the smoker/ pellet grill. To help keep the region moist, place a spray bottle full of liquid, cider vinegar, or a combination of the two underneath or close to the ribs.
- Depending on the thickness of the ribs and the specific temperature of your smoker, smoke the ribs for 2 to 6 hours. Be sure to maintain the proper temperature in the smoker, add wood as needed, and sprinkle the ribs from time to time with the spray bottle.
- Take the ribs out of the smoker/pallet grill and wrap them in pink butcher paper or thick aluminum foil (not freezer paper, which is often coated with chemicals
- Place the ribs back in the grill and cook for a further 2 to 3 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 200°F (95°C) and the flesh is incredibly soft.
- Be sure to provide enough napkins while serving the ribs and keep them wrapped in foil for 1 and ½ hours of rest.
The beef’s short rib is tender and almost falling off the bone. This is the stage you can say it’s fully cooked.
HOW LONG DOES TO SMOKE BEEF SHORT RIBS?
For beef short ribs to be fully cooked, you should plan on smoking or grilling them for about 6-8 hours. Keep in mind that the duration of time will depend on the ribs’ thickness and the grilling pallet/smoker’s ability to maintain a consistent temperature.
Even though I repeat it so often that I feel like a broken record, cook to temperature rather than time. Even though having a time range in mind may help you plan, leave some wiggle room in your schedule when smoking meat.
My Recommendation is that! Plan to prepare beef short ribs on a Saturday or Sunday because the entire process takes around 8 to 9 hours (the time required for preheating the smoker and the resting period are included in the cooking time).
HOW LONG TO SMOKE BEEF SHORT RIBS AT 225 OF?
At 225 oF, 6 hours are required to smoke beef Short Ribs.
At 250 oF You need to wait 5 hours for fully smoked beef short ribs.
WHAT SHOULD BEEF SHORT RIB’S INTERNAL TEMP BE?
In comparison to other smoked meat, short ribs of beef cook at a greater temperature. Between 200 and 210 degrees oF is the range where they often soften. To monitor the inside temperature when I smoke, I prefer to use Thermapen Mk4. Another option is to use ThermoPop to access temperature. It’s a good and affordable option.
When the meat on your thermometer slips into the meat like butter, now you can say it is completely cooked. How sensitive they are should be a good indication of how close to being fully smoked your short ribs are. Prepare yourself for some flavorful, tender meat after they reach the ideal internal temperature. With a just touch, these men crumble to pieces.
Here’s an overall time chart for your ease. One more thing my friends! you should check the time chart before starting this recipe because you need patients for a delicious taste.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cook time: 6-8 hrs
Rest for: 30 mins
Total time: 8 hrs 45 mins
PRO! TIPS FOR SMOKING BEEF SHORT RIBS
How can I forget to give tips? No! No! it’s not possible. so here are some tips for smoking beef short ribs.
Follow these tips to ensure smoking success:
- Trim the ribs properly
- Season the Beef Short Ribs well
- Smoke with fruitwood.
- Invest in a heat-safe spritzer bottle.
- Check for doneness with a thermometer.
- Let the meat rest for 30 minutes or 1 hour.
USE TRAEGER RIB RUB
The incredibly versatile Traeger Rub has the ideal ratio of sugary, salted, and spicy to enhance the richness of any meat. Lean chicken breasts and flavorful beef brisket are both complemented by the combination of sour garlic, herby mint, and oregano flavors, and paprika and chili pepper are subtly smoky undertones.
I prefer Traeger Rub because of its delicious taste.
The best Features of Traeger Rub are:
- Extremely versatile rub for any type of protein
- Balance of sweet, savory, & spicy flavors
- Notes of garlic, paprika, oregano, & chili pepper
- Kosher, GMO-free, & gluten-free
- Packaged in aluminum tins
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SMOKED BEEF SHORT RIBS?
Short ribs that have been cooked slowly are frequently served hot. This suggests that you ought to provide your visitors with some sides or a beverage to accompany their meal. Every main dish needs a side dish, and how well you prepare them will determine how well your dinner party goes. So that you won’t have to worry, let me suggest a few sides.
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- Sweet and Sour Green Beans
- Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Polenta
- Oven-Roasted Baby Carrots
- Fried Plantains
- Roasted Beet and Quinoa Salad
- Caprese Quinoa Salad
- Sautéed Mushrooms in Garlic Butter
- Corn on the Cob
- Italian Parmesan Potatoes
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- Green papaya salad
- Buttered vegetables
- Lobster mac and cheese
- Kimchi fried rice
- Chili oil noodles
Some of these are also suitable for vegetarians and vegans. Serve immediately and enjoy!