Last night I was too tired and couldn’t go to the market. And a cool environment demands something crispy. Suddenly I remember that I had some chicken thighs and remaining smoked beef rib rub in the fridge. So I decided to make smoke chicken thighs.
How is it possible that I make something and forget to share it with you guys? To smoke chicken thighs whether it is bone-in or boneless the recipe will be the same. Moreover, it does not take much time to cook.
I believe, there is no other easier way to smoke chicken thighs. Let’s try and enjoy crispy & juicy smoked chicken thighs with your family and friends.
HOW TO MAKE SEASONING OR RUB FOR CHICKEN THIGHS?
You can try seasoning used in Smoked Beef Short Ribs and BBQ chicken thighs on gas grill. Both Rubs are suitable for smoked chicken thighs. Normally, I use stored Rub, really it saves a lot of time and also tastes amazing. If you want a sweet taste, add honey or brown sugar as needed.
Here are some easy steps, How to smoke juicy & crispy chicken thighs?
- Trim Extra Fat: You first have to clean/ trim the extra fat from chicken thighs. I always do it first.
- Wipe Out: Wipe the chicken thighs parched with a paper towel; this will help the outside of the chicken thighs crisp up.
- Season/ Rub Apply: Once you’ve cleaned the meat, it’s time to apply the Rub to it. Most of the ingredients used in the rub probably already have in your Kitchen. It doesn’t matter what kind of rub you’re using in smoking, the secret to crispness and juiciness is just how well you coat the chicken thighs with the spice rub. The rub should be applied on both sides of chicken thigh pieces ad even under the skin. Simply, you can say it’s a massage of chicken. You can use olive oil and any other available cooking oil while seasoning. But I used a dry rub just because nowadays I follow a diet plan.
- Let it rest: While you prepare the smoker, leave the chicken to rest.
- Smoke the chicken: Preheat the smoker to 225 oF. Place the chicken thighs skin side up on the smoker over indirect heat. Well, you can relax for 2 hours because we are going to leave the meat to Cook for about 1 to 2 hours until the internal temperature reached 165 oF. Check the temperature with a thermometer to prevent smoking. Moreover, I would love to add cherry and apple wood chips. Using a wood chip while smoking adds sweet flavor. Brush the chicken with an apple cider vinegar mop mixture if you want otherwise no need to apply. Some of my friends love the apple cider mopping taste so that’s why when they came I never forget to add it.
- Reverse sear: This is an additional step, Try if you wanna crispy skin smoked chicken thighs. Let’s Increase the heat to 450 oF and reverse sears the chicken to crisp the skin and finish cooking. The chicken will be fully cooked over direct heat with the skin side down until it seems crispy and the internal temperature reaches 170–175 oF.
- Let it Rest & Serve: Remove the chicken from the smoker and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. I am sure everyone will praise your cooking skills.
HOW LONG TO SMOKE CHICKEN THIGHS AT 225 oF?
It depends on the size of the chicken thigh pieces. But almost 1 to 2 will be required to smoke medium size chicken thighs at 225 oF. Try to start smoking chicken at low heat to get crispy and amazing results.
AT WHAT TEMPERATURE ARE CHICKEN THIGHS FULLY SMOKED?
Chicken thighs are fully cooked when the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165oF. Keep a temperature thermometer with you when grilling and smoking meat to avoid overcooking and undercooking because both situations can make you sick.
HOW DO YOU GET SMOKED CHICKEN THIGHS’ SKIN TO BE CRISPY?
Normally, you need to increase the heat of the smoker to get crispy skin. So, increase the heat in the smoker to 450 oF.
WHAT TYPE OF WOOD SHOULD YOU USE?
The use of wood while smoking will enhance the flavor. In my perspective fruit trees, and wood is the best choice. Here are some best choices for your reference.
- Apple Wood chunks or Chips
As I mentioned above, I would love to use cherry and apple wood chips and store these wood chips easily.
One of the simplest recipe to smoke crispy chicken thighs. For sure, you will like it.
- 3 Pound chicken (Bone-in/ Boneless)-06 People Serving
- Neutral oil, such as canola as needed
- Ground mustard 1 tablespoon
- Sumac 1/2 tablespoon
- Paprika 1 tablespoon
- Chili powder 1 tablespoon
- Kosher salt 1/2 tablespoon
- Black pepper 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander 1 tablespoon
- Garlic powder 1/2 tablespoon
Trim Extra Fat: Clean/ trim the extra fat from chicken thighs
Wipe Out: Wipe the chicken thighs parched with a paper towel.
Season/ Rub Apply Coat both sides of the chicken thighs with the spice rub.
Smoke the chicken: Preheat the smoker to 225 oF. Cook the meat for about 1 to 2 hours until the internal temperature reached 165 oF.
Reverse sear: Let Increase the heat to 450 oF and reverse sear the chicken to crisp the skin and finish cooking. The internal temperature reaches 170–175 oF.
Let it Rest & Serve: Remove the chicken from the smoker and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.