How to Grill Sirloin Steak
Nothing can beat the juicy, sizzling and hot steak, filled with rich and satisfying flavors that can make anyone roll their eyes in delight. Sirloin steak is a delicious cut of beef packed with beefy tenderness, is a perfect choice for any small or big event, making the guests feel amazed by the savors.
The grilling of sirloin steaks is very easy as it can be done with the minimal choices, therefore, it’s the best option for cooking these steaks.
Sirloin Steak Grilling
As mentioned above the sirloin steaks are very popular because of their taste as these steaks come from up near the back portion of the cow, which is a non-exercised area, produces juicy meat.
Keeping tastefulness and affordability in consideration, here we have come up with a guide on how to grill sirloin steak. Keep reading to learn about the delicious recipes.
The Grill Preparation: Charcoal vs. Gas
How to grill the sirloin steak to obtain the rich flavors? While grilling the steaks, you have two options, either to use a gas or a charcoal grill. Both these methods are awesome for getting the best results.
How to grill sirloin steak on a charcoal grill?
To grill sirloin steaks on a charcoal grill, preheat it to high temperature and keep the steaks on the most heated part of the grill. Char it for about 1 minute on each side before moving to the medium ash-covered coals and continue to grill till you get the desired cooked steaks.
How to grill sirloin steak on a gas grill?
For the gas grill, preheat it to a temperature of about 500 degrees and char it for about 2 minutes on each side. After that, reduce the flame to medium heat and grill the steaks until you get them cooked the way you want them.
Grilled Sirloin Steak Recipe
Cooking steaks on grills is easy, and there is nothing to intimidate about. A complete cooking guide is explained in this article so that you can also cook a perfect sirloin steak at home. However, before jumping to the recipe, let’s learn a few meat selection tips.
Tips to Choose the Best Steak to Grill
Sirloin is one of the best choices for steaks because of its meat value and quality. However, consider few things before buying sirloin for grilling.
Quality: There are different qualities of cuts available at the butcher shop; choose between prime, choice, select or standard for steaks.
Thickness of the steak matters a lot when it comes to cooking, as think steaks get easily overcooked. Therefore, the preferred thickness for steak is at least 1 to 1.5 inches.
Cut: Different cuts have different levels of flavours and juices, as every steak cut has a different texture. Therefore, choose the cuts wisely if you want a rich-flavoured sirloin steak.
Marbling: The distribution of fats in the meat is called marbling. The long thin lines of fat make the meat juicier compared to large fat hunks. So if you want a succulent and mouthwatering steak, choose the thin-line marbling steak cut.
Now that we have learnt how to choose meat cuts for sirloin steaks let’s move to the delicious recipe.
The ingredients for this recipe are basic and simple. You will need to have
- Lime juice
- Fish sauce
- Ginger garlic paste
- And sirloin steaks
How to Grill Sirloin Steak
To grill the delicious sirloin steaks, follow the below steps
- Make a marinade for steaks with ginger garlic paste, lime juice and fish sauce in a small container.
- Now pour this steak marinade over the steaks, and allow them to rest for about 20 minutes. Of course, you can also marinate it for longer for the best results.
- Now take a skillet or a griddle pan and place it over heat. You can use both charcoal and gas grill methods for making this steak. You can also use the outdoor grill for cooking this steak.
- After the pan gets hot, place the marinated steak piece and cook each side for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now remove the steak from the grill or pan and wrap it in foil for about 8 minutes, and after that, cut it into thin slices using a sharp knife.
Your sirloin steak is ready to serve and eat.
At what temperature to grill sirloin steak
There is no perfect temperature for the steaks, as it depends on the level of doneness. However, you can cook it at a specific temperature until its desired doneness level. Below is the temperature chart that depicts the temperature against the doneness level.
- Rare: 120-130 degrees F
- Medium Rare: 130-140 degrees F
- Medium: 140-150 degrees F
- Medium Well: 150-160 degrees F
- Well Done: 160 degrees F (although it’s not recommended by the cooking experts)
How long it takes to grill sirloin steak?
The sirloin steak is thicker and needs more cooking time than thinner steaks. Also, the cooking time depends on the level of doneness, the higher level of doneness means more time is required for the cooking. For example, a medium-rare steak needs about 12 to 15 minutes to cook on the grill. Now add 1 or 2 minutes for each level of doneness, as medium steak can take 14 to 17 minutes, while medium well needs about 16 to 19 minutes to cook.
How to Grill Sirloin Steak Tips
Do you need some useful tips on how to grill a sirloin steak? If yes, then keep reading below to learn about some great guidelines.
- Always clean the grill before making the sirloin steaks. Avoid dirty grills as you won’t like your steaks to stick to the grills or end up having the flavor of the previous meal cooking on similar grills. For cleaning, you can use a brush or mil soap mixture and follow this routine after every use.
- Try two zone cooking method for sirloin steaks; it means heating one side of the grill at high temperature and the other on low, as it’s a bit tricky method, but it’s the best one if you want to cook your steaks from inside as well as outside perfectly.
- Always move the steak on low heat after cooking it for a few minutes at high temperature, as the low temperature will cook the steak from the inside, and it won’t remain raw.
- It’s highly important that your steaks rest after cooking. Wrap them in a foil for at least 8 minutes to rest. The foil helps to keep the steak hot while resting.
- Take out the steaks from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking as it helps to soak marinade into the meat, and let it adjust to room temperature.
Why sirloin steak grilling is everyone’s favourite
Now that you have learnt how to grill sirloin steak let’s discuss why every other person loves this steak.
- It comes from the juiciest part of the animal with full of taste and flavors. It’s easy to make and can be cooked with different combinations of spices and seasoning, you can feel the flavor kick in your mouth with every new bite.
- As the grilled sirloin steak is easy to make, it’s perfect for every occasion such as mother’s day, father’s day and Memorial Day.
- This steak grilling is not complicated as it needs to pick a nice steak cut and follow some easy instructions to make it.
How to grill sirloin steak medium rare?
Keep the steaks on the grill and cook until slightly charred; it takes about 4 to 5 minutes. Change the steaks side and grill for 3 to 5 minutes for medium rare. For medium rare, the steak’s internal temperature should be 135 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to grill sirloin steak medium well?
To grill the sirloin steaks medium well, grill each side for about 8 to 10 minutes, and the internal temperature of the steaks should be 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
Is sirloin a good steak to grill?
Sirloin is a lean-cut steak with amazing beefy flavour and tenderness; therefore, it’s great for grilling and roasting. The sirloin steak is also called centre-cut or top sirloin steak.
Does sirloin steak need seasoning?
Red meat needs a lot of salt for the seasoning, therefore, don’t hesitate to use a generous amount of salt to season sirloin, but the amount also depends on the thickness of the steak.
Should you marinate sirloin steak?
Like Ribeye and New York strips, the Sirloin steak is a tender cut but needs marinating for about 20 minutes to 2 hours.
Now that you know how to grill sirloin steaks at home for different occasions, why don’t you try one using our barbecue griller.
For cooking aficionados like you, we also have different recipes which you can check here and don’t forget to have a look at our top recipes collection to make delicious dishes for your loved ones.